Well football is in full swing and hockey is now well into their season, WOW.
Where has the summer gone?
Here’s a great treat for those game days….Soft Beer Pretzels with Beer and Cheese dip. I used the Paddock Wood Cream Ale, but any red or amber beer would do in a pinch.
Here ‘s the recipe for both:
Soft Beer Pretzels (makes 8 pretzels)
1 bottle (12oz) beer
1 pkg active dry yeast
2 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp salt
4 to 41/2 cups all-purpose flour
10 cups water
2/3 cup baking soda
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp water
1. In a small saucepan, heat beer to 110-115F, remove from heat. Stir in yeast until dissolved. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 3 cups of flour: beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
2. Turn dough onto a floured surface: knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
3. Preheat oven to 425F. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface: divide and shape dough into eight balls: roll each ball into a 24inch rope. Curve ends of rope to form a circle: twist ends once and lay over opposite side of circle, pinch ends to seal.
4. In a dutch oven, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Drop pretzels, two at a time, into boiling water. Cook 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon: drain well on paper towels.
5. Place pretzels 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolk and water: brush over pretzels. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
** To make pretzel bites:
Divide and shape dough into 8 balls. Roll each ball into a 12 inch rope.
Cut each rope into 1 inch pieces. Boil and top as directed above; bake at 400F for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Makes about 8 dozen.
Beer and Cheese Dip
1 tub soft cream cheese
1 pkg Hidden Valley Ranch dressing
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 bottle of beer
splash of milk
Melt cream cheese in microwave for about 30 seconds until soft, stir in cheddar cheese, until melted. Stir in ranch dressing, gradually add beer, stirring until smooth, add splash of milk. Microwave for 30 seconds and stir again until smooth. Enjoy!!
Don’t forget to enjoy your favorite beer with this yummy treat. Have a great game day.
Remember to treat yourself… you deserve it.